[OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack

Subject: [OM] Re: Advice on favorite mod range zoom to backpack
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 05 Jan 2006 14:25:54 -0800
Roger Key wrote:

>If it is a question of backpacking (multi-day?), I would rate the lenses:
>
>Tamron 80-200/2.8      best lens, but too heavy for backpacking
>
>Tamron 60-300/3.8-5.4   fine lens, tripod mount, good macro, rather heavy

No tripod mount, although it is light enough that it poses no danger to
OM mounts. I would have said exceptional macro. Lots of zooms say they
are macro with 1:4, the Oly macro primes go to 1:2, this lens goes well
beyond that to 1:1.55.

>Olympus 50-250/5     fine lens, no tripod mount

Bokeh issues that bother some.

>Tokina 50-250/4-5.6   good lens, good macro, no tripod mount

I would say fine lens and the same about macro as for the Tamron 60-300.

>Olympus 75-150/4      good lens, limited range, no macro, light
>
>Olympus 85-250/5      fine lens, best with tripod, no macro

Moose