[OM] Re: if your really bored...

Subject: [OM] Re: if your really bored...
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 01 Jan 2006 23:14:20 -0800
Wayne Culberson wrote:

>You can check out my attempt to build a macro ring flash.
>http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/1084616/12
>
>The basic idea was taken from another webpage, as nothing is really original
>with me. I thought his was a bit too awkward for me, so I tried to make mine
>a bit more tidy. (It seems his page expired with the New Year.)
>
>No, I don't know how well it will work with TTL, as I haven't had a chance
>to get back any pics from it yet :-). At any rate, the total cost is
>probably less than a dollar, so if doesn't work.... oh, well.

Reminds me of C.H.'s flash diffuser, but less elegant, costly and
durable <http://www.accura.com.hk/OM/flash-d.htm>.

I just made a ring flash purchase myself. I've been keeping an eye out
for a back-up T Power Control 1 at a reasonable price. And a while ago,
my T8 stopped working. I've thought about buying a new flash tube, but
not absolutely sure that's the problem. Then the Power Conrol and a T8
without the absolutely necessary reflectors showed up at KEH at a decent
price for the Power Control alone, so I now have a fully functional T8
with case and reflectors and a spare Power Control.

Although I'm shooting a lot less film, I justified it as also usable on
DSLRs. No TTL, of course, but checking the image and histogram to get
exposure right for that kind of macro doesn't bother me.

Moose