[OM] Re: No Mac and cheese for me after all

Subject: [OM] Re: No Mac and cheese for me after all
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 15:53:22 -0800
chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>There are Winders emulators available for Macs.  The emulator will certainly
>consume some resources but if the Mac box is fast enough it may not matter.
>I'm sure someone here may have some first hand experience.  You might also
>email  dl-c.com and ask Jonathan if he has any specifics regards emulation for
>PW Pro.

So let me get this straight... One buys a new computer, then slows it
down, possibly makes it unstable, just to run a program that already
runs perfectly, and probably faster than under an emulator, on the
existing computer? Yeah, right, makes sense to me. :-)

>From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
>
>Disregard yesterday's Apple post. My brief temptation and flirtation with the
>notion of switching to a Mac.............

I just don't get the whole switch thing. If I had Macs, I would be
staying with them. I have PCs and I'm staying with them. They
efficiently and reliably do what I want, what else are they for?

Unless it's a religion thing, I just can't see what's so great about
either one compared  to the other. DOS and the early Mac user interfaces
were worlds apart. By now, they are really similar, but with just enough
detail differences to make using the other one uncomfortable at first
and switching back and forth weird. OK, so Apple "borrowed" the Xerox
PARC interface/mouse design first, does that somehow make their version
better than another one "borrowed" later?

And not all the borrowing has been one way. Using a friend's Power Mac
(or whatever it was called) a few years ago, I found the drop down menu
design where you had to hold the mouse button down until over the
correct menu choice annoying and frustrating. Now I find that has
changed to operate like windoze, which is much easier and more intuitive
and less likely to result in a wrong menu choice.

For someone like me with a fair amount of application software that is
either specific to Windoze and not available for the Mac or must be
repurchased in Mac form, the expense would be considerably more than
just the hardware. Of course there are Mac apps to do what the Windoze
apps do, but even if they were free, there is a learning curve. The case
would be much the same for a Mac user contemplating going the other way,
although I think cheaper in $, if not time.

As far as I can see:

- Macs still cost more for the same actual processing power, RAM and HD
space.

- Macs are generally "cooler" looking, especially if white connotes
purity to the buyer. Of course, the very wide range of different styling
of various PCs means that some folks will find one that fits their sense
of style better than a Mac.

- The range of cheap or free apps for many uses for the PC is much
greater than for the Mac.

- The Mac is far less prone to catching viruses. Perhaps mostly due to
their being relatively few of them, so they aren't a particularly
attractive target, but the case nonetheless. On the other hand, I
personally have been using PCs heavily and continously since the
original XT and have never had a virus. Of course, I am careful and
conservative and do always use antivirus software and firewalls since
each has become available.

- My Mac friends have had more issues with the versions of OSX than I
have had with XP (none, it has just worked reliably.) Of course, again,
I am careful and conservative. I waited until the SP2 upgrade had been
around some time, ordered an upgrade CD from MS (free) and did an all at
once upgrade that could be uninstalled if it went wrong. Absolutely
trouble and cost free .

- For a sloppy typist like me, the PC setup of both erase left
(backspace key) and erase right (delete key) is superior to the Mac
single key set up of erase left (delete key) only. I think this is the
single thing that would cause me the most trouble if I were ever to
switch. I did look at a Mac before buyng my recent new notebook PC and
couldn't believe it when the Mac sales guy told me this when I was
looking for the other key. Maybe he was really a PC advocate in disguise??

Neither choice is cheesy. :-)

Moose