[OM] Re: [Photo] Cold sea

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Cold sea
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 22:40:31 -0800
Mike wrote:

>Alas, this is no longer true. They are eviscerating the lighthouses
>around here by removing their sound making capabilities. A few years ago
>I could lie in bed and tell the weather by the beautiful sound of the
>diaphone at the nearby lighthouse. Then they replaced the diaphone with
>a horn. And now the horn is gone. Seems that the out of state trophy
>home owners complain.

Bummer!

The huge, deep diaphone on Alcatraz is long gone.

The Owl's Head Lighthouse in Maine that I posted fog pics of is still
honking away with something.

There is a display there about the little keeper's dog that saved the
mailboat one foggy night when it ran down and barked at it as usual. Let
the boat know it was off course and where it was.

Moose