[OM] Re: [Photo] Cold sea

Subject: [OM] Re: [Photo] Cold sea
From: Mike <watershed@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2005 21:38:19 -0800

>Lighthouses are extremely useful for 3 reasons: you can identify them
>from a distance on the radar; you can see them visually, also from a
>reasonable distance (day or night) to confirm that you have
>identified the right radar return; and they are next to the sea, so
>you can use radar altimeter ranging to update the aircraft's height
>channel, an essential part of weapon aiming.

Chris, They are also useful to aviation in another way. My mother-in-law
used to do a lot of flying around Alaska in float planes. The visibility
tends to be bad going up the canals and there are high mountains going
straight up from the sea so the pilots are going VFR. What they do is
keep dropping to stay below the ceiling until they just set down and
navigate in using the marine aids.

Mike