[OM] Re: C*non 500D 2 element diopter--compact macro solution or expensi

Subject: [OM] Re: C*non 500D 2 element diopter--compact macro solution or expensive and cacamamie
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 17:45:55 -0800
usher99@xxxxxxx wrote:

>Wonder what anyone thinks of this.  I had shied away from close up lenses due
>to loss of optical quality, though this lens has better reviews.  It is
>optimized for use with lenses from approx 80-200 and apparently may work best
>if it close to the front element.  Max magnification I think is about .4X with
>200mm.

2 element achromatic close-up lenses are and have been made by many
manufacturers. Although Oly made only a single element lens for the OM
line, when it came to the IS line of ZSLRs, they choose to make 2 and 3
element C-U lenses for them for better results with the zoom lenses. The
Lens A-Macro and B-Macro fit the standard 49 and 55 mm Oly filter sizes
and work very well on any lens of the correct filter size.

What brand you buy seems to me to be mostly dependent on the desired
power, filter size and price. Here is a list of all of them
<http://www.angelfire.com/ca/erker/closeups.html>.

I have the two Olys. For the Tamron SP 35-85/2.8-3.8 and a couple of
Can*n lenses, all with 62mm filter threads, I bought a Nik*n 2 element
C-U lens, as Can*n doesn't make that size.

Moose