[OM] Re: Gas guzzlers (Was Further chillies and other stuff

Subject: [OM] Re: Gas guzzlers (Was Further chillies and other stuff
From: Mike Butler <om2s.usr@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 20:30:59 -0800
Chris mentioned:

>One of the first machines I met when I arrived on my first visit to

> the US was an El Camino.

<>And then James N. McBride wrote:

<>>>

<>>> Yup. They were both useless pieces of crap. /jmac

I found the 1971 Ranchero I drove as a tow vehicle for a Formula Ford to
be just the ticket.  It allowed me to tow up and down the west coast
with a fair load of tools and spares by myself in comfort and a little
muscle car style.  This Ranchero had all of the Factory Mustang "Go Fast
parts" and Air conditioning to boot.  Once I dropped the car and trailer
at the track, I had a reasonable vehicle to take me to and from the Hotel.

This is admittedly a small niche for a truck that acts more like a car,
but a '71 Mach 1 wouldn't have been nearly as good at the job and I
saved a lot of gas money versus driving a full sized truck or van.

I think it is mostly a case of a styling exercise finding an excuse
after the fact.  Today I would probably be driving a V6 Toyota or some
such but it wouldn't be nearly as cool.  I loved the "Shaker Hood Scoop"
on that thing, it was the first thing folks in the know would ask about.

Mike Butler
Dublin, California