[OM] Pictures of grinding mill

Subject: [OM] Pictures of grinding mill
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 20:37:56 -0400
I have posted a few pictures of some grinding mills, for grinding grain or
corn, that we saw in Bolivia in October. The pictures aren't anything to win
awards, but what they convey is kind of interesting I think.
http://pastway.smugmug.com/gallery/1023901

The first two pictures are of a sort of temporary mill set up where two
rivers converge. We were travelling down the seasonal roadway in the mostly
dry riverbed, when we came on this mill, so stopped for a look, a chat with
the folks, and a few pictures. I was surprised to learn that over the years
past, a fair number of people had lost their lives at this spot, being
washed away in flash floods. It would kind of make one wonder why they
continue to set up there every year. The riverbed wasn't all that wide
there, probably not more than a kilometer wide, but too far to run for shore
when a flash flood comes.

The 3rd and 4th pictures of some millstones, which they make by hand. I
would like to have bought one, and likely could have for a pretty reasonable
price, but didn't think it would come under airline baggage weight
restrictions :-) I can't imagine how long it would take to make one.

The fifth picture is inside another more permanent mill. It shows the corn
hopper, and the corn flour around the edge of the millstones. The water
wheel is under the floor of course, and a wooden shaft connects the two. A
rather simple design, but used in every mill I saw, is the stick which
bounces a bit on the rough top of the upper turning wheel, jiggling the corn
hopper, and working quite effectively as a trickler for regulating the flow
of grain into the center of the millstone.

The sixth picture is of a mill built on a hillside, making use of a small
brook. If you look carefully, a Quechua lady is trying to get into the shade
of the eave of the mill.

The seventh picture is of yet another mill, not working at the time. I
directed the three small Quechua boys to pose inside the lower level of the
mill, where the water wheel and flowing water would be when it was working.

The eigth picture is of the lower part of the same mill that shows the corn
hopper and working grindstone. You can barely see the edge of the turning
water wheel. Again, two Quechua boys get into the picture.

The ninth picture is of yet another mill in the middle of the riverbed.

Wayne