[OM] Re: Tempted by the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Tempted by the E-500
From: Chris Barker <ftog@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 19:08:36 +0000

~~ >-)-
C M I Barker
Cambridgeshire, Great Britain.
+44 (0)7092 251126
www.threeshoes.co.uk
homepage.mac.com/zuiko

On 7 Dec 2005, at 06:57, Moose wrote:

> The all too many people here working at the McJobs, fast food,
> WalMart,
> etc., do very poorly. Hours are arranges so that most of them don't
> qualify for benefits, let alone work full time to make something
> approaching a living wage. Millions are without health insurance and
> other benefits that are govt. provided where you are.  I'm not saying
> one system or the other is better, just that they are very different.

Yes, the lack of health care is a big turn-off.  I was shocked, in my
naivete, when I found out that a pregnancy would cost a lady $7000
when I was living in Tampa in 1989.

> I studied international economics and business at a prestigious U,
> although I wasn't a prestigous student. One thing I learned is that
> comparisons of earnings are very tricky. You have to take after tax
> incomes, then prepare comparable 'baskets' of goods and services,
> adjusted for cultural differences and cost them. Only then can you get
> anything like a reasonable comparison. It's actually a lot of work.

Yes, I understand that it is not simple.  It's pretty well always a
topic of conversation than any sort of decent comparison.

Chris
p.s. I am *sure* that you were a prestigious student old chap ;-)  cb.