[OM] Re: A weekend with the C*n*n 5D....

Subject: [OM] Re: A weekend with the C*n*n 5D....
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 18:16:41 +1100

On 07/12/2005, at 9:23 AM, Rob Harrison wrote:

> Problems encountered were:
> * I was using the Zuiko lenses (18/3.5, and 24 and 35 shifts) on
> aperture
> priority. Camera would randomly not get aperture info, and
> overexpose the
> shot. This may have been a battery charge issue.

OTOH Moose pointed out the other day that the Canons don't much like
'foreign' lenses under f2.8. It could be functional.

> * Did I mention you can't shoot without batteries? They lasted at
> most two
> hours of shooting, so having two was paramount.

I've got four!

> • C*n*n software sux on Tiger. Might just suck in general. There was a
> disclaimer on the Read Me file that said "Software may not work on
> versions
> later than 10.3." It did work, but reluctantly. I had to reinstall
> the whole
> bundle once, to get it to recognize the camera when I plugged in
> the USB
> cord.

I don't bother. Card reader instead of cable, Photoshop CS in browse
mode. I work on the principle that camera manufacturer software will
be lousy, was written by the lowest bidder and is only bundled for
newbies. Usually I'm right.

> • I didn't quite figure out the EOS Capture deal--viewing shots as
> I took
> them on the PowerBook, remotely controlling the camera. It
> partially worked,
> sometimes. I ended up downloading from the camera and viewing in
> iView Media
> Pro.

Cute but...why bother unless you're teaching or doing school
portraits or some such? I haven't used it since I got 10.4 anyway so
i haven't checked.
AndrewF