[OM] A weekend with the C*n*n 5D....

Subject: [OM] A weekend with the C*n*n 5D....
From: Rob Harrison <robhar@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 14:23:40 -0800
I rented a C*n*n 5D from Glazers last weekend, along with a 50/1.4 AF lens
(just to see....), and a Lensbaby 2.0 (for fun), $200 for Friday at 3pm
?till Monday at 10am. The plan was to photograph a couple of my projects
with my new CameraQuest adapter and Zuiko lenses, using my new PowerBook G4
running Tiger to preview shots.

While it was not entirely painless or without hiccups, I think this will be
my new protocol for shooting architecture. For anyone who's been living in a
cave for the last few months, the 5D finally makes wide-angle manual lenses
workable, having a full-frame sensor.

Problems encountered were:
* I was using the Zuiko lenses (18/3.5, and 24 and 35 shifts) on aperture
priority. Camera would randomly not get aperture info, and overexpose the
shot. This may have been a battery charge issue.
* Did I mention you can't shoot without batteries? They lasted at most two
hours of shooting, so having two was paramount.
? C*n*n software sux on Tiger. Might just suck in general. There was a
disclaimer on the Read Me file that said "Software may not work on versions
later than 10.3." It did work, but reluctantly. I had to reinstall the whole
bundle once, to get it to recognize the camera when I plugged in the USB
cord.
? I didn't quite figure out the EOS Capture deal--viewing shots as I took
them on the PowerBook, remotely controlling the camera. It partially worked,
sometimes. I ended up downloading from the camera and viewing in iView Media
Pro.
? The above would have been easier if I'd brought a longer USB cord. (Or
rather, if the extension I'd brought had been USB rather than
Firewire...doh!) As it was I was tethered a bit too closely to the
PowerBook, which had to be resting on a counter or table.

On the other hand:
? Image quality is VERY impressive.
? And it's right there, right now. No wondering "did I get the shot?"
? RAW is cool. (Or will be, once I upgrade to CS2.)
? The Lensbaby _is_ fun. Got some neat shots with it, though it would take
practice to get more keepers.
? Pretty darn nice to be able to change ISO for a shot. Even up to 1600
looks decent.
? in-camera filters for B&W are handy.

Overall, a very good first impression. I won't be buying the camera. I can
rent it when I need it for $150/day body only, and that'll get me through
the three or four times a year I'll truly need it, for the next couple
years. By then something even cooler will be out, for less money. Or I'll be
richer. If I could though, I'd plunk down the dosh tomorrow.

I'll try to post some images in the next few days. Must. Put. In. Billable.
Hours. Now.

Rob in Seattle