[OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)

Subject: [OM] Re: Wildlife Photographer of the Year (OT)
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2005 13:20:32 -0800
You might be right Andrew about the picture being "posed" but I wouldn't
assume it was. My experience with the herons near where I live is that if I
take a couple hours for them to accept my presence, I can get very good
pictures of them. I use a longer lens, a 400/4 Tamron, often with a 1.4x
teleconverter. The biggest problem is that other people will come scare them
away before I get a picture I want. I've also taken numerous pictures of
them with fish in their beaks, but never with such a large fish nor from as
close range. With his web picture it is hard to tell if he cropped it or
not. The relatively simple blue background and water is much different from
my local conditions.

The herons are in some ways easier to photograph than other birds. They
normally don't like people to get near them but with enough patience and no
other people around they sometimes ignore me. With a lens as short as 400,
it isn't hard to follow them. They often find a favorite spot to fish from
and will stay there for hours stuffing themselves. When they're moving, they
can be hard to follow with longer lenses (800mm) because they constantly
change their direction depending upon what they see under the water. They
often seem to pause before swallowing what they've caught.

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: Andrew Fildes <afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Er...your point being?