[OM] Re: C5050

Subject: [OM] Re: C5050
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 2005 13:28:06 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 3 Dec 2005, Parzival Herzog wrote:

> I have a C-5050, it doesn't show ccd symptoms (but the clock resets every
> time I change the battery).

Ah the infamous dying capacitor, a lot of 5050's seem to suffer from this
problem.  Olympus used a special capacitor rather than the more traditional
rechargeable battery to hold the charge while when the main batteries are out.
These capacitors are now failing for some reason.  This problem has nothing
to do with the CCD problems.

> I there a serial number list I can consult that identifies the potentially
> faulty cameras?

Call Olympus and ask them.  Apparantly they can tell you if you're at risk
based on the serial number.

> "Sending it in" is an expensive and time-consuming cross-border transaction I
> would rather not engage in just to find out that the camera is unaffected.

There should be no need to send it across the border, there are several
factory authorised repair centres in Canada.  Don't expect fast service though.
I've had a 5050 sitting at Nortown for 4 weeks now waiting for a new CCD.
They just got the part last week and I hope to have it back soon.
                                        -mark