[OM] Re: Epson 1270 printing problems

Subject: [OM] Re: Epson 1270 printing problems
From: Joel Wilcox <jfwilcox@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 27 Nov 2005 20:31:53 -0600
On 11/26/05, robburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <robburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Moose wrote:
> Be careful NOT to use both an ICC profile in PS, or other color aware
> app., AND the printer driver color management at the same time. That can
> really screw things up.>>
>
> Moose, et al:
>
> I am working with a factory spec recalibrated Sony SDM-X93 19" LCD monitor,
> a 2.0 mhz dual processor Mac G5 and Photoshop CS from the Adobe Creative
> Suite 1.1.
>
> After more wrestling with several photos I discovered that I had some embedded
> profiles in some files from opening photos in other applications. After
> opening
> those photos as untagged RGB files I was able to get a couple of photos with
> weird
> preview colors to look "normal." My photos usually look great on the monitor.
> The
> previews look great. But, the photos are always printed too dark by the 1270.
> I have
> used only a couple of combinations of inks and paper, including Epson Inks and
> Premium glossy paper and inks and paper from inkjetart.com. Regardless of the
> combination, my photos print the same--great looking, but dark. I have tried
> altering
> the brightness and contrast before printing. Previews look good. Photos still
> print too
> dark.
>
> Any suggestions as to how to get lighter prints?
>
> Robert

What you call the "embedded profiles" are actually color spaces and
are different from profiles of the .icc/icm variety.  I'll get back to
that.

If your monitor looks good to you, that's fine.  The monitor, however,
has zero connection to the printed output.  The monitor and print are
independent media and calibrated/profiled actions in either stream do
not affect the other.

In the print "stream", If you have a profile you want to use that is
supposed to match your printing paper, just make certain -- as others
have said -- that you turn off color adjustment in the printer driver
and that you have selected the profile provided to you in Photoshop.
If this is not clear, I recommend this site:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com

The selection of your color space is certainly important, but it is
more important than anything to pick a space and stick with it for the
sake of consistency.  There are PS color management settings that you
can manipulate to open a dialogue any time you try to open a file that
has a "foreign" color space associated with it.  The site above walks
you through color management setup in Photoshop.  Very helpful.

Lastly, if all is set up right, I have found that there is one setting
in the printer driver that can give you a bit of a tweak without
messing up the profile's business.  That setting is the paper
selection.  Many of the best papers ask for the "Photo Paper" setting
(or something of that kind).  I find that sometimes that puts down too
much ink and that the "Film" setting is better.  This doesn't really
address the actual darkness of the final print, but any print with too
much ink on it will not be improved by increasing brightness per se.

Hope something here helps.  Good luck!

Joel W.