[OM] Re: Printer profile for an Epson SP1270 photo printer

Subject: [OM] Re: Printer profile for an Epson SP1270 photo printer
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 03:00:34 -0800
robburn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>Does anyone on the list have or can you recommend a good ICC profile for the
>Epson SP1270 printer? I am
>having a terrible time trying to get decent, color accurate prints from mine.
>My monitor, a Sony SX-93 LCD
>model, has been profiled with Spyder2. I am totally frustrated. I do have
>access to Vuescan. Will that help?
>Any suggestions will be gratefully appreciated.

I'm getting good results from my 1270, very good to my eyes. The only
reason I would even consider a replacement printer would be for longer
print life. I tried profiling it using an IT8 target and Vuescan, but
prefer the results from the built in profiles in the Epson driver.

Be careful NOT to use both an ICC profile in PS, or other color aware
app., AND the printer driver color management at the same time. That can
really screw things up.

If using a profile, set the driver to do no color mangement, and vice versa.

Most non Epson papers I've used have a guide telling how to set the
Advanced options in the Epson driver for best results. I set and try
them, then save them as named settings. This goes even beyond color
settings. I've used some Kodak 4x6 paper that works poorly with 1440 dpi
and Red River paper that works well only at 1440 dpi. In both cases, the
instructions give the correct settings.

Moose