[OM] Re: ICC Profiles

Subject: [OM] Re: ICC Profiles
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 21:27:26 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 24 Nov 2005, Jay Drew wrote:

> Looking for recommendations on hardware / software to set up color
> management on my LCD display and printer (Canon i9900).  I'm scanning with a
> Minolta Dimage IV.
> Cruising through newsgroups seems to indicate a lot of unhappy users for the
> Colorvision Spyder system.  Any thoughts on that or the Monaco Ezcolor?
> My biggest surpise has been the difference in printing on matt vs glossy.
>
> I'd prefer not to have to sell my soul, so recommendations on the cheap side
> are higly welcome.

For monitor profiling it's hard to beat the Eye One Display.  Very reasonably
priced and produces excellent profiles.  Printer profiling is generally very
expensive as it requires a photospectrometer.  Most decent printer profiling
packages are in the $1K+ range so it's usually cheaper to pay someone else to
make the profile for you.  I've use Kathy's Profiles to create some profiles
for my printer and they've been very good.  About $40 per profile, you can
find all the details here http://www.cathysprofiles.com.
                                                -mark