[OM] Re: Another AP article full of praise

Subject: [OM] Re: Another AP article full of praise
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 14:06:08 +0100
>Many of my complaints with modern idiom arise not because language is
>changing, but because changes are based on misapprehensions of the
>meaning of words or phrases owing to poor teaching in schools in
>English-speaking countries.

Yes, I have the same problem with the way French
is now being spoken, for instance on radio or
television. But I am more and more wondering...
isn't this actually how languages have always
evolved, at least in part? Sure, in French as
well as English, part of the lexicon was created
by educated people, on the basis of classical
Latin and Greek words. But many (most?) words
have evolved more "freely", very often on the
basis of wrong interpretations of their origin or
meaning, or of a complete misunderstanding of
proper word construction logic. (Sorry if I am
not making myself clear, English is not my native
language).

OM content: Olympus is a Latin orthograph for the
Greek name of Japanese camera.