[OM] Re: Color print film recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Color print film recommendations
From: "Dean Tyler" <dtyler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:30:33 -0500
Hi Andrew,

I think Fuji 160s and 160c are great films.  160s is a low contrast portrait
film, while 160c has more contrast and saturation.  I would experiment to
see which you like best.  I am just starting to shoot 160c and have been
really impressed so far.  It can also easily handle a 10 second exposure.  I
may become my travel film of choice. 160s is so smooth and great for people
shots my wife demands that I only take here picture with this film in the
camera.  I experimented with Kodak 160NC, but I like the Fuji.  I have shoot
only a few rolls of NPH (400) and NPZ (800).  NPH did really make an
impression and NPZ is a nice film.  NPZ has low grain (for 800), and handles
just about every situation great.  That said, Kodak Portra 800 is my
recommendation.  I hesitate using Kodak products anymore since it appears
they are running away from the analog business, but it is a great film.  It
offers clean colors and handles yellows and reds better.  It has more grain
than NPZ, but it has a look I really like.  If are not going to enlarge past
8x10 I would definitely give 800 speed a try.  It makes everything easier.

My 2-cents,
Dean