[OM] Re: Color print film recommendations

Subject: [OM] Re: Color print film recommendations
From: "Bill Pearce" <bs.pearce@xxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2005 08:53:52 -0600
> I want realistic skin tones, low to
> medium contrast, fine grain, and decent speed.
Andrew,

If you want accurate skin tones and low contrast, one of the Kodak NC films
is just what you want. I find the 160 version my favorite print film, but
the 400 may be more suitable if using a P&S with a slower lens.

Fairly accurate skin with a bit higher contrast are the Fuji films with the
fourth emulsion layer. While not as good as the NC for skin and low
contrast, they excell in situations of mixed lighting, where the Kodak falls
down. I have a friend that is an archetectural photographer that uses it
just for this advantage.

Remember, though, that for many people, the NC films will be too flat for
taste, as we have become more and more acustomed to more contrast and
saturation. I used a bunch of Kodak 400UC on my last Italian trip, as it was
being marked down by Target, and cost about $3 a roll. I found it to be VERY
saturated, a bit more contrasty than I prefer, and the skin tones were only
slightly ruddy. All in all, the photos were quite good. At least the part
about the film.

As I hear more doom and gloom about film, I remind myself that as long as
Kodak makes Plus-X and 160NC, and Fuji makes Provia and 64T, I'll be OK!

Bill Pearce