[OM] Re: just how bad does a lens element have to be to affect photo's

Subject: [OM] Re: just how bad does a lens element have to be to affect photo's
From: "Wayne Harridge" <wayneharridge@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 15:56:59 +1100

> here is a photo of the rear element from the 8mm fisheye that
> is subject
> to lens seperation
>
> http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/45028210-M.jpg

Looks pretty ugly.

> and here is a photo taken with the rear element as above
>
> http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/45028843-M.jpg
>
> How bad does it need to be to really affect picture quality,
> the results
> certainly surprised me.

I guess the bottom line is that any fault in a lens will effect the quality
of the image to some degree.  Obviously in the case of this lens the quality
degradation is not that significant.  It would be interesting to shoot it
side by side with a pristine example and compare the results.

When I got my 16/3.5 it had a horribly scratched front element but the
images from it were quite ok except when there was a bright light in the
frame.  I replaced the front element and images into the light are now
excellent but with the light behind, no real difference from when it had the
scratched front element.

...Wayne