[OM] Re: just how bad does a lens element have to be to affect photo's

Subject: [OM] Re: just how bad does a lens element have to be to affect photo's
From: "Jeff Keller" <jrk_om@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Nov 2005 16:36:19 -0800
Thanks for posting the pictures.

I would guess that for a uniformly lit scene the lens would have to be very
bad. I don't think I would notice a 10% contrast reduction in most areas. If
the mis-focused light fell in a dark shadow then it might not take very
much.

If the defects were almost in focus then it would be more of a problem

-jeff

----Original Message Follows----
From: swisspace <swisspace@xxxxxxxxxxx>

here is a photo of the rear element from the 8mm fisheye that is subject
to lens seperation

http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/45028210-M.jpg

and here is a photo taken with the rear element as above

http://thattimeoflife.smugmug.com/photos/45028843-M.jpg

How bad does it need to be to really affect picture quality, the results
certainly surprised me.

Ian