[OM] Re: Photos without flash - advice wanted

Subject: [OM] Re: Photos without flash - advice wanted
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 11:11:14 -0500

Martin Walters wrote:

> Chuck, Moose:
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Honestly, it didn't occur to me that the original scan (Costco, from
> negative) could have been bad.  There are a couple of sunset photos on
> the same CD and the highlights also appear blown out. I just assumed
> that it was my error.  I will look at the negatives, and perhaps get one
> or two reprinted to see how they turn out.

Checking the negatives for yourself is the most important step.
However, even if they're not blown the Costco operator may not know how
to recover the hightlights.  I hear Costco has good equipment but I
don't know how well those folks are trained.

> I will play with PS Elements to see what I can do with levels and other
> adjustments. I also have an older version of Corel Photopaint, which has
> quite extensive tools to adjust images.  I probably should take a course
> to see what is really possible. The things that one can adjust are quite
> extensive.

If the image or the scan is truly blown then there is nothing to adjust
no matter how good the software.

> -  Just how good are the scans from labs like those in Costco? Are the
> results limited by the equipment or by the operator?

I have no specific info on Costco's equipment but I would be surprised
if the equipment wasn't capable of extracting the data if it's there on
the negative.  The specific operator is another question.

Keep in mind that a JPEG had substantially less dynamic range than your
negative.  Perhaps you can get scans in other than 8 bit format.  If the
original negative has a high dynamic range, once it's converted you
either have to have gone for one end of the scale or the other (either
highlights or shadows) or else the full brighness range has to be
compressed into the lesser range of the JPEG.

> -  Is it worth looking for "professional" labs to scan negatives, when
> the photos are out of the ordinary (e.g., lots taken that need the
> levels adjusted)?

This may work but will certainly be more expensive.  First make sure
you've got something on the negative to be recovered and next that your
Costco operator isn't able to handle it.

Chuck Norcutt