[OM] Photoshop RAW converter question

Subject: [OM] Photoshop RAW converter question
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 07:12:25 -0800 (PST)
Oh, great Photoshop Gurus, I need some advice.

I'm experimenting with Adobe's RAW converter and I'm really
disappointed with the saturation levels I'm seeing from E-1
files. With Olympus Viewer, I can get those Over-The-Top colors
and 3D colors that the camera is famous for, but Photoshop's
converter just seems to make the image lay there.  Sure, I can
crank things up a bit later, but that's another step I'm not
sure I want to take.

It appears as though the gamma is a bit off in the converter and
treating the dynamic range in a linear manner rather than
gamma/curve adjusted to match the sensor.

The same is also true with the Minolta converter, but given the
improvement in sharpness and noise, the curves adjustment I can
live with.  I just can't get the Photoshop converter to make the
E-1 files sing.  They're not quite as dry looking as Viewscan's
converter, but definitely an octave off from the brilliance
Viewer (and in-camera) is giving me.

BTW, I now recognize this in some other people's pictures too,
so I know I'm not alone.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com