[OM] Re: In over my head!

Subject: [OM] Re: In over my head!
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 09:20:07 -0500
The film type is more important than the speed.  For good skin tones on
portraits use Kodak "Portra 160NC"
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=162388&is=GREY&addedTroughType=search>

or Kodak Portra 400NC
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=162411&is=GREY&addedTroughType=search>

or Fuji NPS (ISO 160)
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=75539&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation>

or Fuji NPH (ISO 400)
<http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=102340&is=GREY&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation>

If you're going to be shooting outside (especially in the snow) choose
the 160 speed.  Even 160 is too fast for fill flash outdoors with 1/60th
second sync speed.  To cut the effective speed to something usable with
slow sync speed you may need a couple of ND2 filters which can be
stacked to produce an ND4. Maybe even an ND4 and an ND2.  If you're
going to be indoors choose 400.  With a fast lens you might avoid flash.
  Ideally you'd have two bodies preloaded with slow film in one and fast
in the other.

The Portra films also have a VC (vivid color) vs NC (natural color)
version which I have never tried as I've never seen a need for "vivid"
with a portrait.  Both Kodak and Fuji films do a very good job on skin
tones but the Fuji handles flourescent lights better than the Kodak.  If
you foresee shooting indoors where there might be a fluorescent light in
the background choose the Fuji.

If you buy from B&H choose the "imported" films.  Just as good and much
cheaper.  I posted links to single roll prices but there are 5 packs and
other quantities available.

Chuck Norcutt