[OM] Re: In over my head!

Subject: [OM] Re: In over my head!
From: "Darin" <d.rhein@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2005 01:14:11 -0800
> Good advice.  For portraiture, *always* avoid full sun (late morning to
> mid afternoon) and especially mottled shade.  Both should be avoided due
> to the drastic dynamic range requirements.

Yeah, I learned that the hard way at their wedding.
That's part of the reason I was so surprised how much they liked the wedding
photos.

> Using negative film should give you the leeway you need to cover exposure
> errors.

What film speed would you recommend?

> Portraits outdoors are best done with fill flash or with reflectors.
> Fill flash with an OM is difficult because of the 1/60th second sync
> requirement.  You need subdued light for 1/60 to work since you'd also
> like to use a large aperture for DOF control.  Reflectors are easier.
> Sometimes it helps to use the house to provide open shade and the side
> of a white house makes a good reflector.  Snow can also serve as a
> reflector since the most important point is to have some light coming up
> from underneath to get rid of shadows in the eye sockets.  You want soft
> shadow on the face to model the facial features but not too dark.  The
> face is correct when the shadows are 1/2 to one stop darker than the
> highlights.

This is another problem I forgot to mention. The flash sync on my OM is on
the fritz.
I've been planning to send it to John for a CLA and to get that fixed, but
as I mentioned
they want the photos for Christmas, and I don"t want to risk not having the
camera back in time.
So, I guess I'll have to make do with reflection from the snow.

> Avoid busy backgrounds and bright spots in the background.  The eye is
> drawn to the brightest part of the photo which may detract from a
> portrait.

Yeah, I have a bad habit of being so focused on my subject, I don't pay
enough attention to what's in the background.

> Also avoid trees and poles emerging from the top of people's
> heads and horizontal bars passing from one side of the head to the
> other.  Tends to look like an arrow shot through the head.

LOL! Great tip, I can see myself doing this very thing.