[OM] Squirrel ! [was Critter shots [was Tokina Mirror Lens]]

Subject: [OM] Squirrel ! [was Critter shots [was Tokina Mirror Lens]]
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 13:24:02 -0800
Moose wrote:

> By the way, the squirrels we have all over here don't seem to exist.
> The Audobon Mammal book only shows large gray squirrels here, which I
> never see. What we have look like the Eastern Fox Squirrel in the
> book. There is one in my TOPE "Through a Window" entry
> <http://www.millennics.com/olympus/tope/tope_show_entry.php?event=19&pic=26>.

Here's another view of the local type of squirrel. For years, the
squirrels happily shared the suet feeder with the birds. If I let the
feeder get empty, one or more of the squirrels would scratch away at the
wood to try to get at the bits left out of reach. OK, I can understand
that. But recently, the attacks got stronger. Then a couple of days ago,
a squirrel tore apart the bottom of the feeder so that a whole block of
suet fell out.

New, more open feeder, but it starts getting chewed up too. And I
believe this is the culprit!
<http://moosemystic.net/Gallery/MPhotos/Squirrel.htm> Shot yesterday as
I was investigating countermeasures. Well, photographed, really,
although thoughts of shooting have crossed my mind.

Moose