[OM] Zuikofest Wintertime Workshop--a clarification

Subject: [OM] Zuikofest Wintertime Workshop--a clarification
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 08:15:38 -0800 (PST)
> Heck, AG, never mind the freakin' bugs -- you lost me when you
> called
> it a WORKshop AND mentioned Winter in the same sentence!

Ok, ok. Let's try this again:

This isn't a "WORK"shop, nor is it an excercise in death-defying
blizzard blasting.  This is a guided trip for fellow Zuikoholics
who would want to try their hand at snowscape/icescape
photography in a very beautiful region.  Oh, for "value-add", we
could "discuss" such issues as compositon, digital/film
bipolarism, astrophotography (weather permitting) as well as
photo marketing.

Without a doubt, a good percentage of the conversations would be
centered around the finer points of Zuiko-comparisons.  You can
pretty well be assured that somebody present will have a
hunk-o-glass that will trigger a case of Zuiko-Lust.

Now, about the digital/analog question.  I made the mistake,
last month of shooting almost entirely digital.  In looking back
over the images, I kick myself for not doing more B&W as well as
sneaking in a 35mm Velvia shot of a few things.  I encourage
anybody thinking about participating to keep this in mind.
Personally, I plan on shooting 4x5, 35mm B&W as well as digital.
 However, as the host of this operation, my personal role is to
be supportive or YOUR photography and maximize YOUR
opportunities to shoot.  That also means that anything I carry
becomes spares for anybody else who is either missing something
important or has an equipment failure.  The contents of my
camera bag are open to use, so if you want to try your hand at
shooting with an E-1 or a 4x5 or even the famed 100/2.8, you
can.

At this point, I'm looking for three or six participants. Two
individuals have expressed some interest at this point, but
nothing is firmed up yet.  There will be up to three
participants (plus a driver/guide) per vehicle and enough room
for tripods, camera bags plus a duffle per person.

For those so inclined, there are fantastic skiing opportunites
available in the region, so if you want to do some skiing you
can plan on staying an extra day or two.

As the grouping is rather small, we can choose to modify some of
the goals of this trip.  I've listed the primary items, but the
thaw-out evening sessions can be modified.  If the primary
interest is B&W, well, we can make that happen by bringing
chemistry, tanks, etc.  Don't expect a major darkroom setup, as
we'll digitize the negs for the workshop.

I'm still working up the primary "education plan" for the
workshop and should have that fleshed out this weekend. I've
been a techical trainer/writer for many years and my wife and I
put on workshops for other things, but this will be our first
photography workshop.

Also, I'm in contact with various lodging operations trying to
balance price with available facilities.  Meeting rooms and
saunas are high on the priority list.  Oh, and food.  Can't
forget the food.

Oh, another possible workshop which I'm working on and may also
be available this winter is in the Traverse City, Michigan
region. This area has numerous photographic opportunities and
would be hosted in a B&B located minutes from several specific
photographic locations. This particular workshop would venture
as far north as Mackinaw and would include lighthouses as
subject matter. For this workshop, attendance can be slightly
higher with I believe 8-10 possible seats.

For both workshops I'm getting together dates which work best
price-wise considering the season.  This actually is peak season
in these areas due to snowmobiling and skiing.

Ken

http://farechase.yahoo.com