[OM] Re: Megapixels

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2005 07:57:07 +0100
Le vendredi 04 Novembre 2005 02:35, Chuck Norcutt a écrit :
> Boy, here's a young whipper snapper.  Thinks x86 means "pentium" instead
> of 8086.  :-)

Not *that* young ; this was my first computer :
http://www.old-computers.com/museum/computer.asp?c=218&st=1
It still works, and I still boot it a couple of time a year. Very nice and
powerful computer (back in those years). Very expensive, too (twice an IBM
PC/XT).

First I used it after hours at my father's accountancy office, then (in 1985 -
I was 13) I got it in 'full property'. Those were blessed times when you
could let anyone on any computer because you just had to make a system disk
copy, and the real work was protected from newbies feebles attempts, being
stored on other, locked in a safe, floppies. While I was given one of the
first HP Vectra soon afterward, it was not until many years later (1992) that
I finally made the switch to the PC world on a 486. And I still somewhat
regret the very simple 'problem - think - program - test - work' paradigm of
the Sord. Programming on it was a joy, maybe the first RAD system in the
world. It had to be, because there wasn't a lot of ready-made applications. I
made my own 'word processor', for instance.

--
Manuel Viet