[OM] Re: Megapixels

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels
From: Robert Swier <robert.swier@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 10:36:36 -0500
No, the 4GB limit comes from the fact that a 32 bit machine names each
memory location with a string of 32 bits. There are only 2^32 (or
4294967296) different bit strings of length 32. So, that is the maximum
number of memory locations that the system can use in total.
 A 64 bit machine names each memory location with a string of 64 bits, so
there are 2^64 possible names. 2^64 is practically infinity.
 Robert Swier
Toronto