[OM] Re: Megapixels

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels
From: Mark Dapoz <md@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:28:09 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Manuel Viet wrote:

> > Next year Intel will be
> > rolling out a number of new cores with multiple processors in them.
>
> I smell the vaporware. Facts are AMD is leading the trail now, and Intel's
> not expected to catch up until 2009 at best. Being an ex-alpha enthusiast,
> I'm really thrilled to see that alpha's legacy now resides in opterons'
> cores. Go AMD, go !

No, it's not vapourware, I can assure you that. I've had the Intel multi-core
MP development hardware sitting on my desk at work for over six months now.
If Intel follows through on their roadmap it won't be 2009 when they catch up.
I'd love to say more but my NDA prevents me from saying anything specific.

> Threads support is enough.

Not really, true SMP support is far more than just a threading model.
                                        -mark