[OM] Re: Megapixels

Subject: [OM] Re: Megapixels
From: Manuel Viet <oly@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2005 03:52:02 +0100
Le jeudi 03 Novembre 2005 03:28, Mark Dapoz a écrit :
> On Thu, 3 Nov 2005, Manuel Viet wrote:
> > > Next year Intel will be
> > > rolling out a number of new cores with multiple processors in them.
> >
> > I smell the vaporware. Facts are AMD is leading the trail now, and
> > Intel's not expected to catch up until 2009 at best. Being an ex-alpha
> > enthusiast, I'm really thrilled to see that alpha's legacy now resides in
> > opterons' cores. Go AMD, go !
>
> No, it's not vapourware, I can assure you that. I've had the Intel
> multi-core MP development hardware sitting on my desk at work for over six
> months now. If Intel follows through on their roadmap it won't be 2009 when
> they catch up. I'd love to say more but my NDA prevents me from saying
> anything specific.

There's a world between dev kits and industrial mass process :
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/10/29/intel_xeon_2009/
This said, I'm not an IT professional, just a curious amateur.

> > Threads support is enough.
> Not really, true SMP support is far more than just a threading model.

Sorry, I didn't made my point clear ; while not truly smp optimized, a
threaded code benefits immediately from smp, while monolitic code doesn't use
more than a core. But of course, true smp code is better.

--
Manuel Viet