[OM] Re: USA Southwest

Subject: [OM] Re: USA Southwest
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:13:26 -0400
On 11/2/05, Willie Wonka <alienspecimen@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Ya know...
> I am so glad that English is my only third or fourth language...I really
> think that the whole alphabet should be completely revised.
> The Bulgarian alphabet (yes, it is the Bulgarian, not Russian...:) every
> sound has its own letter.  Thanks to it, spelling at school ends with first
> grade as soon as one learns the alphabet.  Then all energy is concentrated on
> learning words and not how to spell them.  My rough estimate is that the
> second graders read at least at the level compatible to seventh grade here...

Borris, I agree with you there, the various forms of the Cyrillic
alphabet (shared by Bulgarian and Russian as well as several other
slavic/slavonic languages) are nice and easy to learn. When I studied
Russian in university it only took a couple days to learn it and then
I never had to think about it again. Find a new word in a reading, no
problem, you already knew how to pronounce it. Okay, in Russian
there's a bit of variation depending on where the stress falls but
it's still pretty darn easy to work it out.