[OM] Re: photographing fireworks with an om4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: photographing fireworks with an om4ti
From: "Wayne Culberson" <waynecul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 09:24:18 -0400
For fireworks I use E100VS with great results, so I suspect the Velvia 100f
will be fine. Use f8 or f5.6 for 100 iso. I find a zoom lens works best as
its hard to guess composition until the first few have fired off. Compose on
the first few bursts, then watch if they they are going about the same
height after that. You may need to recompose sometimes. Fireworks differ a
lot as to height, size, etc.
The time your shutter is open isn't really the issue, but rather the number
of bursts you want in a frame. Put the shutter on B, on a tripod of course,
and cable release of course to hold it open. However, I really use a thick
black piece of cloth as the effective shutter, holding the cloth over the
lens between bursts, until I get the number of bursts I want on a frame. It
is a lot of guessing and luck, however you do it. You have to listen and
watch and anticipate the next burst so that your cloth is removed before it
actually bursts open.
Take a small flashlight along.
The last fireworks I did I used a TLR. You can watch what you're getting
through the top lens - kind of neat.
Wayne