[OM] Re: photographing fireworks with an om4ti

Subject: [OM] Re: photographing fireworks with an om4ti
From: Steve Dropkin <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 06:16:21 -0600
jking@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Is auto ok for taking fireworks? I only shoot slide film (plus the
> occasional xp2) so I don't have much in the way of exposure latitude to
> play with. A quick web search says run around f8 and use several seconds
> exposure. Ok velvia 100F is fine for up to around 60 seconds and I could
> run on B with a cable release and guess the exposure or hope the 4ti gets
> it right. any ideas, experiences???

I've taken pictures of fireworks both with my OM-1 and with a digital
non-Olympus P&S. Some duds and some really spectacular ones (just like
fireworks...).

The latitude of slide film will make it difficult, I think, to get the
absolute best pictures you can get, unless you're willing to scan some
in and do post-production work.

I have had surprisingly good results just letting the digital P&S do its
thing -- full auto -- yet it managed to compensate for some bright city
lights in the distance and still keep the shutter open enough to get
some of that waterfall effect from the fireworks. You certain could
shoot a number of shots that way just to see how they come out.

On the Oly, I ended up using ISO 100 film and settings of f/11 and Bulb.
Because I've heard people discuss the undamped shake of the camera when
using a cable release, I held down the shutter button. You have to guess
when the fireworks will be in frame and guess when they will look best
(not too early, not too late). I found this a little easier to do
(psychologically, perhaps?) holding the camera. BTW, a tripod is an
absolute must; then again, if you're setting to Bulb, you already know
that. It also makes it much easier to reframe the shots if you need to.

I'd point you to some of my pictures, but my Web site has been a
casualty of too much work and other priorities. Hope this helps, though!

Steve