[OM] Re: the "one over focal-length guideline"

Subject: [OM] Re: the "one over focal-length guideline"
From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Oct 2005 09:41:18 -0300
On 10/26/05, Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Winsor has it right.  You do have to account for the multiplier to apply
> the guideline.  You're correct in that you're not producing anymore
> shake but your "only situtation that's an issue" is an issue 100% of the
> time.  If you're going to print a 4/3 image to the same size as you
> would with 35mm then you're magnifying the image by twice as much and
> emphasizing the shake by a factor of 2.  Compensate by multiplying the
> focal length in use by 2 to get back to the 35mm guideline.

Yeah that was really a situation where I started off writing the
message pretty sure it wouldn't make a difference and as I thought
about it more I became less and less sure.

As you and others have mentioned though, the guideline is only that, a
guideline. Some people will be able to handhold at slower speeds and
others may need to go even higher. As always, mileage is suject to
individual variances. I know I've been able to go down to 1/15 the odd
time with a 35 or a 50 as long as I'm careful about keeping the camera
steady and watch my breathing.