[OM] Re: the "one over focal-length guideline"

Subject: [OM] Re: the "one over focal-length guideline"
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Oct 2005 16:46:26 -0700
You got it right, Robert. The guideline is just a rule of thumb that
depends on your final use of the photograph. Most landscape
photographers that do larger prints use tripods, good ones, instead
of handholding, because sharp fine detail is important to them. And
they get into arguments about which tripod is most stable with the
least movement. They all move.  The 1/FL guideline is OK for average
prints without much enlargement.

You would use the 35mm equivalent with a digital camera because the
multiplier also applies to the print size. For instance a tight head
shot will be enlarged, along with its motion, twice as much as the
tight head shot with your OM to get your 11x14.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA