[OM] Re: Shots again the E-500

Subject: [OM] Re: Shots again the E-500
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 19:21:33 -0700
The dust removal device is a window in front of the sensor that is
shaken. Not the sensor. Picture here about half way down the page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympuse500/page4.asp

Perhaps you could answer a question for me on CCD and CMOS design. I
have read that the photosensitive part is just a relatively small
part of the pixel pitch. Essentially that the image is created from
data from separated dots, not at all like the square pixels butted up
against each other that we see in an image. It seemed to me that a
major noise breakthrough might be done with a change in architecture
which would allow the photosensitive area to more closely approach
the dimensions of the pixel pitch. For instance, if the current Kodak
8MP 4/3 sensor has a pixel pitch of 5.3 microns and the
photosensitive bit is, say, 2.5 microns, an increase to of the
photosensitive part to 4 microns would greatly lower the signal to
noise level, or what is more likely an increase in pixel count with
smaller pitch and the same photosensitive area with more resolution
for the same noise hit.  Possible, likely, or working feverishly to
do it?

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA

snip