[OM] Re: Manual Zuiko tele lenses on the E-1

Subject: [OM] Re: Manual Zuiko tele lenses on the E-1
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 09:39:10 -0700 (PDT)
Joel wrote:
> Yes, Brian, I think this varies a lot from one person to
> another.  I prefer working off a tripod, but you wouldn't
> believe what AG can do with a 300/4.5 on an E-1 with only a
> monopod.

Thanks.  We won't talk about what ISO I was using, though...

I'd love to have in-camera stabilization in an E-body.

There is a little trick which I use quite extensively when
shooting in a vibration-prone situation.  I may put the drive on
sequence and fire off a burst of three pictures.  The act of
squeezing the shutter release usually blurs the first shot, but
the second one is almost always sharp.  However, if you aren't
used to using sequence it bites you when you do a slow roll on
the shutter release and you get a
whappa-whappa-whappa-whappa-whappa when you meant to take just
one frame. It invariably happens when you are shooting in RAW
mode and it takes 30 seconds before you get a chance to review
(chimp) your images. Of course, it startles you so all of the
images are blurry.

I found the 300/4.5 to be remarkably easy to shoot with on the
monopod and the results are more than acceptable. However, I did
notice an oddity in that my two (yes it's up to a whopping two)
dust specs show up a lot more in the 300/4.5 shots than other
lenses.  Must be the extreme telecentric nature of
super-telephoto lenses.

On my E-1, I've noticed that I've got to manually focus slightly
beyond my subject.  In otherwords, instead of focusing on the
eyes, I need to focus on the ears instead.  It appears to be the
result of a very slight focus-shift when stopping down. Maybe
others can expound on this with their own experiences.

Some manual zuiko lenses on the E-1 are a lost cause, but in my
testing there are a few gems that pay their way.  One set of
pictures that I found rather interesting was a sequence done
with the 300/4.5 of a hazy/cloudy sunrise.  When chimping I
thought I saw chromatic aberation/fringing going on.  Uh oh,
better stop down some more.  But when viewed on the computer it
was just fine. Evidently what I was seeing was the LCD's color
matrix interacting with the color contrast of the boundary
between the orangish solor orb and the purplish background.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com