[OM] Re: Scanner suggestions, for bulk scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: Scanner suggestions, for bulk scanning
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 10:41:30 -0400
Steve Goss wrote:
> Hi, Y'all-
> One of the nice things that happened last weekend was that my Dad, my brother
> and I discussed all
> the slides we have, and how it would be nice to have them a little more
> available than assorted
> trays and boxes. The best thing about the conversation was that my Dad is
> willing to foot the bill
> for a film scanner. <insert ear to ear smile here>
>
> Some guide lines:
> because of the number of slides to scan, scanners that require someone to
> manually insert each
> slide or reposition a slide carrier won't cut it. Some sort of attachment
> that can automatically
> work through a stack of slides would be highly valued.

You have the emphasis in the wrong place.  Before worrying about
manually positioning slides you need to worry about automatic dust
removal.  Posititoning an individual slide requires only seconds.
Removing dust requires many, many minutes of tedious work in your photo
editor.  You could easily spend hundreds of hours on this task.  It's
what stopped me from scanning the 1500 or so slides that I have plus a
seemingly uncountable number of negatives.  This means you require a
scanner with "Digital ICE" or "FARE" which are brand names for dust
removal technology utilizing an infra-red channel.

If you have a large number of slides that don't need to be done at
maximum possible resolution then you might want to consider one of the
latest flatbeds from Canon or Epson.  See the reviews at
<http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Menus/reviews_frame.htm>

I suspect I'll be doing this myself before too much longer.  Perhaps
Moose will jump in here and tell us which one to buy.  I have a number
of fungus damaged Kodachrome 64 slides that need to be scanned and
restored.  Supposedly, the infra-red channel stuff doesn't work well on
Kodachrome but Piers has previously shown us some Kodachrome that was
cleared up wonderfully by the ICE on his Nikon (4000?) scanner.  Anyhow,
I'd like whichever flatbed can do the best job on those damaged Kodachromes.

Chuck Norcutt