[OM] Re: composition and how it changes perceived meaning of a photo

Subject: [OM] Re: composition and how it changes perceived meaning of a photo
From: hiwayman@xxxxxxx (Walt Wayman)
Date: Sat, 01 Oct 2005 15:03:29 +0000
Whatever it all means, I sent the link to Glenn Reynolds, who, besides being a
constitutional law professor at my alma mater, the real UT, is probably the
number one blogger in the USA.  His daily hits are in the hundreds of thousands.

http://www.instapundit.com/

Glenn put it up five minutes after I sent it, so whoever zombietime is, I'm
guessing he's going to get more hits in the next 24 hours than he's ever had
before, for whatever that's worth.

One photograph is still worth 1000 words, but sometimes it takes 1001 words to
explain it.  Truth, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.  Photographs
don't lie, but liars do photograph.  I could go on and on, but I find it more
amusing than upsetting.  I mean, after all, it is the San Fran Chronicle.
(Giggle)

Walt

--
"Anything more than 500 yards from
the car just isn't photogenic." --

From: Andrew Dacey <adacey@xxxxxxxxx>

> On 10/1/05, iddi <iddibhai@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > http://www.zombietime.com/sf_rally_september_24_2005/anatomy_of_a_photograph/
> >
> > interesting point the author makes; for you trekkies, as picard says, a
> > lie of omission is still a lie. not meaning to be political.
>
> The author makes an interesting point about how the cropping can
> change the context of a photo and how it's perceived. But, he then
> proceeds to make a number of statements that *seem* to be attempting
> to prove how the "left-wing media" manipulate the "truth". But, he
> makes the same mistake he's accusing the media of making. He shows you
> a number of other photos of the same event and uses them to back his
> own agenda without providing any actual facts to back it up.

[big snip]