[OM] Re: composition and how it changes perceived meaning of a photo

Subject: [OM] Re: composition and how it changes perceived meaning of a photo
From: NSURIT@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 1 Oct 2005 06:27:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/1/2005 4:57:48 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
afildes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

And then  you can get into a discussion about the ethical relativity
of lies  of omission, lies of comission, lies to a good purpose, etc.
and  that's before we get into a discussion about whether such a thing
as  the 'truth' exists - the writer of the article makes an unexamined
assumption that it does - I'd  disagree.
AndrewF

IMHO, where many have a problem is when what is presented as the "news" is
really the "editorial".

We all crop our photographs to refine what we are attempting to say and no
one would argue our right to do so, however we are not all "news"
photographers who we assume are there to record what happened.  The cropped
image used in
this story, clearly did not report a broad view of what  happened.  Some
might say it didn't even present an honest view of what  happened, but rather
presented a view of what some wished had happened.   Some would assert it
really
only reflected or forwarded a particular bias.   A bias that many find
offensive as it is presented as being a representation of  fact, when the
reality is
that it is a reflection of opinion.  There are  those you might argue it
represents a distortion of the facts.

I wonder if this image was captured with an OM or e-1?

Bill Barber