[OM] Re: Flash connectors question

Subject: [OM] Re: Flash connectors question
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 16:47:44 -0400
NSURIT@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 9/29/2005 10:31:31 AM Central Standard Time,
> danmitchell@xxxxxxxx writes:
>
> What is  the use of a PC connector for flashes? My OMs and the E-1 have
> a PC  connector on the side to connect non-dedicated flashes to -- fair
> enough,  but which _flashes_ have PC connectors on them?
>

> How about studio lighting equipment?  Bill  Barber

Studio lighting equipment to be sure but some 3rd party flash units also
accept PC cord inputs.  The Vivitar 283/285's have an auxiliary PC cord
attachment with a Vivitar proprietary connector on the flash end.  Very
handy if you mount the flash on a flip flash bracket instead of the hot
shoe.  The Sunpak handle mount flash units also have PC cord connectors
with Sunpak proprietary connectors on the flash end.  Those that are TTL
compatible can also use a connecting cord to the hotshoe to get to the
TTL contacts.  The Vivitar and Sunpak proprietary connectors are quite
similar to (but not the same as) audio mini-plugs.

The T-20 and T-32 do not have PC connections but the BG-2 does.  That
allows the BG-2 with T-20 or T-32 to be mounted on a non OM-TTL camera
be it OM or other.  Probably the best way to use a T-32 on an E-1.
Without the BG-2 the T-20 and T-32 would require a PC to hotshoe
adapter.  The T-45 also has a built-in PC cord in its bracket ala the BG-2.

Chuck Norcutt