[OM] Re: e500

Subject: [OM] Re: e500
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 23:23:28 +0800
I totally agree with you, I don't like share control, no matter how you
familiar with the dial or button there is always chance that you are in lost
that cannot react fast enough to change mode or setting. I really love the
simplicity of the OM body.

I never liked the modern AF system, the focusing ring is really poor even
for the C*non 70-200/2.8 IS, the Tamr*n 200-500 is just a joke, less than 45
deg movement from close to infinity. The E-system focus is much better in
general but there are also some problem. You will feel the response of the
50-200 has some delay at the long end. The 50/2 at close distance has
different moving proportion for left and right turning movement, making it
difficult to perform left-right-center focusing action.

You may tell me your camera's AF system is good and never need manual focus,
that is not true, there are lots of situations you need manual focus. I have
tried my C*non 10D with 28-135 USM IS for ballet, it has never been able to
capture the two persons dance in action, they run from left to right and
jump and... the camera always focus to the background, switching between
center or 7 points TTL does not help. Finally I have to use my Zuiko 75-150
to make a few usable shots.

Even for portrait, you need to focus precise on the eye and the focusing
point always not the in right position, I have not try the EOS3 or 1D MK II,
may be the 45-point focusing can do it but I still prefer manual focusing.

C.H.Ling