[OM] Re: e500

Subject: [OM] Re: e500
From: Moose <olymoose@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2005 21:38:37 -0700
Bob Whitmire wrote:

>Okay, maybe I've missed this, but . . . as the E-500 seems to be a reality,
>is it supposed to be an upgraded Evolt-300, and if so, were is the upgraded
>E-1? Is the pro market taking a backseat to the high-end prosumer market, or
>have I missed something major? I love my E-1, but the E-500 looks pretty
>good.

A question that may need asking is what is meant by the "pro market". As
AG has affirmed yet again in response to this post, the E-1 hit the nail
on the head for the portrait/event/wedding pros. Great out of the camera
onto the print color for people shots is unique and combined with good
enough resolution, noise, focus speed etc,. is enought to make a
winner.  On the other hand, it's clearly not a good tool for pro sports
photographers. No good for pro product photography. Probably pretty good
for journalism, with its rugged, weather sealed qualities. Good but not
great for your pro use, as we discussed, with high iso noise getting in
the way of some money shots that another camera might make work.

 From Oly's perspective, a strong acceptance in one or two important pro
sectors may be enough for the moment. Pros don't want a new model unless
it does something new that has commercial value to them. It is just an
unnecessary expense. So unless Oly have some enhanced value for their
primary niche(s) or can add functionality that will appeal to another
segment, where is the need to update the E-1 in any hurry?

On the other hand, the consumer market for DSLRs is reportedly booming.
Get a winner in that class, which specs say the E-500 could be, and you
get the revenue stream and profit to keep the line going and pay for
more product development of both consumer and pro lines. More bodies out
there means at least some more sales of the really pro lenses, making
them more profitable too. The marginal profit from additional sales of
those kind of products should be very high.

Some features of pro cameras aren't significant to some pros and most
amateurs, and some are outright negative. I would never haul around the
big pro C and N models. I can't imagine I'll ever even see the shutter
life imitations of the 300D on the far horizon. Others on this list
could wear one out pretty quickly.

Seems like a smart move to me. Whether they are going to introduce the
best camera for your use, I don't know. Look at the things you really
need and measure the available cameras against that list.
Moose