[OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing

Subject: [OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing
From: Chuck Norcutt <chucknorcutt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 16:41:47 -0400
Moose wrote:

> The question that I don't know the answer to is why there isn't a JPEG12
> image format. The amount of extra programming effort to carry 12 bits,
> rather than 8 or 16, should be trivial.

There is, sort of.  The JPEG 2000 specification supports up to 214
channels, each with 1-38 bits; gray or color.  That's a lot more than
you asked for but should hold the fort for awhile.

I think the reason we haven't seen more of it is that folks are afraid
of legal tangles.  Many of the math algorihms have been patented by
others.  Most of those patents have been cleared with their owners but
"most" and "all" are two different things.

Chuck Norcutt