[OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing

Subject: [OM] Re: Latitude of exposure with an E-thing
From: Bernard Frangoulis <lists@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 20:51:16 +0200
>Ah, we were talking about two different things. I was talking about a
>raw curve and using software on the computer and you were talking
>about the view on the LCD?

Yep.

>Most software, though, picks up your
>camera settings from the EXIF data and applies them automatically to
>your raw image unless you set up the defaults to zero in the
>software. So the histogram in ACR does reflect what you have done in
>the camera if I am not mistaken.

No, even when you use the "Use auto-adjustment"
option (which I don't, usually), Adobe Camera Raw
(ACR) ignores the "in camera" settings. That's
why I was saying that the camera settings are
only applied (1) to the LCD view and the LCD
histogram and (2) to the JPEG image if you save
your pics in this format instead of, or in
addition to, the raw format.

I think the Olympus Software (Viewer and Studio)
behaves differently from ACR in this regard: it
does apply camera settings by default to the raw
image when opening it.

Bernard