[OM] Re: Restaurant photography?

Subject: [OM] Re: Restaurant photography?
From: Dan Mitchell <danmitchell@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2005 15:47:46 -0600
  Thanks for all the suggestions!

  First off, I asked the publication about model releases, and they
suggested I just avoid having any recognisable people in the shots. Easy
enough, and that certainly appears to be the approach that they took for
the previous year's edition.

  I'm not feeling brave enough to try lighting the entire place, or even
a smaller part of the entire place -- while I have accumulated more than
one flash by now, I'd like to do a lot more practising first before
doing anything I'll only get one chance at, and there's also the problem
of connectivity.

  I'll be using the E-1 to shoot because that'll let me fix white
balance/light colour issues after the fact more easily, and because I
can chimp a bit to see how things are going at the time -- and while I
have a few OM flash cables and multi-connectors and the like, they won't
connect to the E-1, and I don't want to start trying to accumulate PC
cords and the various converters and stuff those will require with a
deadline.

  Fortunately, tripod + long exposure should go some way towards making
people unrecognisable (though with any luck I should be able to get in
either out of normal hours or at least early enough that there won't be
many people in there) -- I was pondering trying an ND filter to extend
the exposure even more, though that might be overkill.

  Food photography I've tried before and I appreciate how difficult it
can be, though one advantage of digital is that trying and failing isn't
really a problem..

  -- dan