[OM] Re: Emulating Ansel

Subject: [OM] Re: Emulating Ansel
From: AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 07:33:55 -0700 (PDT)
> The other idiot with a digital camera came the month
> before, made his moon shot, and photoshopped that
> ghastly ball to the right spot over the mountains.
> No hassles at all with those forever-yesteryear-
> wooden-tripodies ...

As somebody who still keeps a toe in the "old ways", I must say
that a high-quality forever-yesteryear-wooden-tripody is a pure
pleasure to use.  Not everywhere, or everytime, but there is a
noticable improvement in lateral stabilization.  The biggest
problem I have with modern tripods is lateral (left-right)
movement during the exposure. This comes from the inability of
round aluminum tubes to resist this twisting motion.

At the end of the month I'll be heading out on a photo trip to
the wild north country.  Primary gun will be the E-1, but along
for the ride will be an OM body (loaded with Delta), probably
the IS-3 (loaded with Velvia) as well as the 41 year old Crown
Graphic 4x5 (loaded with Delta 100).  Oh, and the Minolta A1 for
on-the-go hiking shots.

So, ancient technology and technique still has its place. When
used in appropriate circumstances the results will continue to
blow away whatever is possible with digital.

I'd be happy to duplicate an AA shot, but in reality, who is to
say that AA created THE definitive picture of any location?  Ok,
"Clearing Storm over Yosemite Valley" qualifies.

AG

http://mail.yahoo.com