[OM] Quality Landscapes (was: Emulating Ansel)

Subject: [OM] Quality Landscapes (was: Emulating Ansel)
From: Andrew McPhee <macca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2005 15:37:05 +1000
At 12:20 PM 13/09/2005 -0700, Winsor wrote:
>A group of astronomers have studied Ansel Adams photograph, Autumn
>Moon: the High Sierra from Glacier Point. His dating was off 4 years.
>That makes me feel a little better. The full moon position will
>duplicate his this Thursday evening and will not repeat itself for
>another 19 years. Anyone running to Yosemite?
>
>http://www.latimes.com/travel/outdoors/la-me-
>ansel12sep12,0,6284697.story?coll=la-tot-promo

A quote from the article:
"Ansel Adams' genius was in getting there at the right time and the right day"

And in my experience with landscape photography that statement is so very
true.  In the years I've spent doing landscapes I've got thousands of
photos to show for it but only about a dozen of them really stand out as
'Wow!' photos.  And those dozen were mostly opportunistic - I was just
lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

Instead of the shotgun approach I used to take I find myself learning to be
more selective and thoughtful about my landscapes.  It's taken years for
this to sink in (sometimes I'm a slow learner I guess) but I have realised
that quality landscapes cannot be rushed, they take a LOT of planning.

Andrew McPhee