[OM] Re: CMOS Technology

Subject: [OM] Re: CMOS Technology
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 15:57:58 -0700
Actually I saw it as the opposite. Lots of Canon fans seem to think
that their company is able to create CMOS chips without noise when in
reality noise reduction has been applied. I think this is the first
time Canon has admitted it.  People notice it because they quickly
get sharpening artifacts with a Canon raw image that would not cause
a problem with from a CCD raw image with the same amount of
sharpening. Basically CCDs are lower noise sensors than CMOS, but
CMOS allows for a more sophisticated noise reduction at the sensor
level. Although you are right that Canon is selling their sensor
technology. I kind of like the new Nikon approach of providing sensor
level noise reduction, but allowing you to select the level or turn
it off. And some comparisons have been made between the IDsII and the
D2x and there is not as much difference as you would expect in
capturing detail as you would expect from the MP difference. I think
Canon opts to sacrifice some detail for smoothness. But you have to
hand it to Canon, theirs is second generation and everyone else's is
first. Clever indeed.

I think think bokeh is a product of the lens design, not digital
sensor or film. I thought I had seen a lot of discussion of depth of
field with digital here. Seems to me that it is a two edged sword.
Some photographers are keeping there little digicams around to do
their macro shots with because that is where you frequently wish you
had more depth of field. Nothing like a FF camera and longer lens for
a portrait with a blurred background though.

Winsor
Long Beach, California, USA